One of the biggest problems I often have is simply eating more than I really need. We live in the world of Sizes Super! So sometimes, I just plain forget to measure what I’m eating with a little common sense of what I realistically need to fuel myself. Here are a few little visual guides (with a little help from the American Dietetic Association).
- one cup = averaged woman’s fist size
- 1 1/2 cups = averaged man’s fist size
- 3-ounce portion of meat, fish, or poultry (usually we only need a couple of servings of this per day) = deck of cards
- 1 ounce of cheese = a pair of dice
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter = size of a small grape
- average bagel = size of a hockey puck
- average muffin = size of a medium fist
- medium potato = size of a computer mouse
Well, if you’re depressed you’ve been eating too much for a long time, you’re not alone. But just knowing what we’re putting into our bodies will help make us more aware, and we’ll feel much better in the end (and hey, I hate to say it, folks, but winter is here now, but beach season is coming)!