We just couldn’t leave it at only ten summer “to dos” yesterday. There’s still so much to squeeze in before school starts (or some have already begun… does it seem that school starts earlier and earlier every year, or is it just me?)! It’s time to get that one last taste of summer.
- Host a canning party. You’ll thank yourself when you’ve got delicious raspberry jam to enjoy into November, January, February…
- Set up the sprinkler in the front yard, invite the neighbors over, and run through the cool water. Your yard gets a drink too! (Water balloon fights are equally fun… just get wet somehow!)
- Attend an outdoor summer activity. By this time, you’ve probably been holed up in air conditioning most of the summer months. But now that the heat is abating (a little), is the perfect time to track down a music festival, local movie or concert in the park, or farmer’s market. Check out our Around the South posts for suggestions!
- Eat the last and best of your favorite sweet summer fruits. Our favorite? Watermelon.
- Host a game day. Bocce ball, cornhole, Hillbilly Golf (is this what it’s actually called, or is there an official name for it, and I’ve just been calling it wrong all these years?), or my family’s personally favorite, croquet. Perfect for playing on the still lush green yard you’ve worked so hard for all these months. Then once everyone is showered, cool and comfortable, haul everyone inside for a family evening of board games. Monopoly, Scrabble, checkers, or whatever your favorite classic games are.
- Spend a weekend cleaning out the garage and host a killer yard sale. End of summer is the perfect time to clean out those items that might sell perfectly for college dorm decorating. Plus, Christmas will be here before we know it, and you’ll need that space for storing all the new decorations to stock up on the week after Halloween.
- It’s not too late to plant a few veggies and herbs for those late summer dishes. There’s nothing like freshly-grown produce from your own garden!
- Host a backyard grill-out! Invite the neighbors, slap some meat on the grill, and eat out of doors while the kids run around and play. Don’t forget the potato salad, or better yet, you prepare the main dishes, and ask friends to bring along sides, drinks, desserts. You might just get a new recipe out of the deal.
- Get yourself a pedicure! By this time, your poor tootsies have been through a long summer of strappy sandals, flip flops, and bare feet, so they deserve a nice pedi. Be sure to get one last bright color to celebrate the end of the season.
- Visit the beach! Need we even explain? Sand, water, sun… Before the summer’s over, take one last long stroll along the seashore and watch the sun go down on this, one of our favorite Southern seasons.
And why not one more? The most important task to accomplish before summer’s over? Brew a large pitcher of sweet iced tea, and enjoy on the veranda, of course!